Aggregate concrete, which is also known as “aggregate,” is a massive classification of the particulate coarse mixture that contains geosynthetic aggregates, recycled concrete, slag, gravel, sand, and crushed stone, which are used for construction purpose. These aggregates used to develop this concrete are mostly mined material, which is available in abundance in various parts of the world.
The aggregate here is prepared from the complete fusion materials such as asphalt and concrete. The truth behind aggregate is, it is believed to be as inert filler for concrete, but it makes the concrete fresh and hard. If certain changes are brought within the aggregate such as moisture content, maximum size, grade, weight, etc. can bring appropriate changes within the performance and character.
There are many ways of using concrete, though it is the core material used for construction purpose. It can also be used as an aesthetic feature for some structure. Using concrete in the form of decorative concrete that can be made in various ways and by adding different materials.
Those elements can be added during the pouring process or curing of concrete. Things like vertical overlays, stamped concrete, decorative overlays, polished concrete, acid staining, and much more are added in concrete to prepare decorative aggregate.
Everything about aggregate in concrete
- What is the actual need of aggregate in concrete? Why do people use aggregate concrete? Or what is it in the aggregate that makes it so useful. If you think economically, you can use the right aggregate by allowing the proper size and even saving money that would result in profits in your business.
- The use of large, coarse aggregate lowers the costs of Hence, it turns out to be profitable in business.
- Less cement in aggregate means, it requires less amount of water. Hence, saving a larger amount of water.
- Low moisture content will also lessen the cracking or shrinkage problems.
- A typical good concrete mix should have these following proportionate ranges like cement 7% – 5%, Water 14% – 18 %, Aggregate 60 % – 80 %, and air 2% to 8%.
- While purchasing good quality concrete, the main thing, which is to be kept in mind, is the usage of high-quality
- Moreover, another reason these aggregate materials being mined to a large proportionate because the particular aggregate can be prepared with the help of recycled materials.
The all new type about decorative concrete
Now, as far as you are aware of the fact about aggregate concrete and the things required to develop this material. Since, this is the modern era, there is a change in everything. You can see the field of designing, interior as well as exterior, both have developed much. The architecture engineers who built massive concrete structures now have brought modifications into the concrete. They have turned it into decorative concrete so that they can be directly implemented on the structures.
Exposed aggregate, also known as Decorative Concrete is, when the stone that is used in the concrete mix is exposed by washing off the top layer after drying. The exposure can be of two type heavy or light exposure, which decides the layout. These decorative concretes are nothing but exposed aggregate concretes. It can be easily compared to a piece of marble or granite transformed by polishing it. It’s just as you get diamonds from the coals. The thing required is the technique and procedure, and then you can see the beauty unleashed. Just as same as the decorative concrete, which is polished in various ways to make it look splendid.
The forming process can be either natural or manufactured. Some process involved in forming decorative aggregates are stamped, concrete dyes, acid staining, water based staining, overlaying, epoxy coating,etc. Moreover, polishing them with the help of diamond pads or mechanical grinders by passing the concrete through various stages and levels of diamond pads, engraving, and forming line
These are the few upgrades, implemented in the architectural field, and they are showing great success results.